Saturday, December 8, 2012

Big Star

Tacos are tacos, right? They're pretty universal, right? NO. Big Star, located on Damen & Milwaukee in Wicker Park (I swear I eat in other neighborhoods, I just really enjoy this corner of town!), should go down in the record books for most ridiculously amazing tacos in all the lands.

We tried all but the 'vegetarian' tacos, well because I think animals are tasty (Take that PETA!).

Taco El Pastor
photo courtesy of bigstarchicago.com
Tacos Al Pastor (marinated, spit roasted pork shoulder, grilled pineapple and onion, cilantro) my favorite

Taco De Panza (crispy, braised pork belly, tomato guajillo sauce, queso fresco, onion, and cilantro)
Taco De Pascado (Beer battered Tilapia, chipotle mayo, cabbage, cilantro, lime) my fiance's fave.
Taco De Pollo (roasted chicken thigh, salsa negra, black bean crema, corjita cheese, crispy fried onion, cilantro)

All of the glory was loaded inside corn tortillas, which in my opinion or the only tortillas for tacos! And for $3 a taco (besides pollo which is $4), I may have overindulged a bit. Its a busy little place, so we sat at the bartop, which I prefer a lot of the time. The shelves are stocked with any and every whiskey I've ever heard of and then some.

The bartenders change out the music and play old vinyls, which adds to the kind of 'hipster-esque' atmosphere. It used to be an old gas station or something from the looks of it. Very industrial architecture.  The service was good. I wish I could have said GREAT, but we were walked past a couple of times with empty drinks and spicy salsa. I give them the benefit of the fact that they were balls to the walls busy, which they are almost all the time. Nonetheless, I would absolutely return and try some other menu items.

I was recently asked to name a favorite restaurant while interviewing for a job downtown, and when I blurted "Big Star!" the interviewer replied with a shocking "Big Star! Best f*cking tacos ever".  End of story. Go there, experience taco ecstasy, get a buzz, and tell me how grateful you are for the recommendation  You're welcome in advance.

website: www.bigstarchicago.com

No comments:

Post a Comment