Saturday, December 8, 2012

Hot Chocolate

Well, to be quite honest, I didn't take any pictures of my courses at Chicago's Hot Chocolate considering that I didn't even contemplate starting a blog. The name can be rather deceiving, due to the fact that they have much more than a chocolatey orgasm in a mug, which go figure, I didn't even order. Hot chocolate offers a variety of options from a Crabcake Sandwich to a Beet Salad. We went in during lunch, and the buzz of customers immediately let me know this place was going to be good!

Photo Courtesy of Hot Chocolate's Website
It's nestled on Damen in the heart of Wicker Park, just a short walk from the Damen/Milwaukee Blue Line. at first glance, it looks like a quaint cafe serving merely breakfast, but this little gem serves beyond that. A fully stocked bar and a phenomenal culinary team make this restaurant perfect for any time of day. It is open for Lunch and Dinner Tuesday - Sunday, and Brunch on the weekends.

First, I need to say that I love a restaurant that focuses on local ingredients. Kudos to Chef/Owner Mindy!

Our server, Saul, was knowledgeable and on point. Not a single minute went by where I became even remotely close to having an empty drink, which is refreshing (no pun intended) considering I cannot even count on all of my digits the number of times I've gone out to eat and had to crawl across the floor with dehydration (overkill? possibly). But back to Saul...He made small talk, gave us recommendations, and was quite honestly the best server I've had in quite some time.

We ordered the Pork Belly Ruben, Macaroni & Cheese (because in Chicago during winter, nothing is better than packing on the pounds to keep warm than some mac & cheese), and the Apple Napoleon for dessert.


(PHOTOS COURTESY OF HOT CHOCOLATE'S WEBSITE
Left: Pork Belly Ruben, Right: Mac & Cheese )
I have to start with the Mac & Cheese, because Sweet Baby Jesus, it made me want to die. Die in a good way, of course. The texture was so exact... creamy. Not that stick to the roof of your mouth, molten hot lava sh!t you get at most chain 'Italian' restaurants. It displayed a hint of smoked Gruyere and a little American Cheese. Hands down the best mac & cheese I've ever consumed in my 23 years of life. Had my fiance and I not been sharing, I would have probably walked out with eaters remorse and inhaled the whole bowl.

The Pork Belly Ruben was definitely a great take on the traditional sandwich. The texture and smokiness of the pork belly paired perfectly the sauerkraut, the bread was perfectly grilled, and just the right hint of what seemed to be caraway or fennel. It is a great portion size and served with home made and thinly sliced potato chips.

By time our dessert came, we were overly stuffed from what we had just shoved down our throats (and I say shoved because we barely even breathed in between bites. I think my fiance established a new method of eating which doesn't require him to put down his fork at any point during dining). The Apple Napoleon was a hefty portion for a dessert, but very tasty. Definitely worth the money. Chef Mindy has a James Beard recognition for her pastries, so don't be an idiot and leave without ordering something sweet.

I'll definitely be back and explore the menu even further. Next time, I'll actually try a Hot Chocolate (for two reasons... 1) everybody loves hot chocolate and 2) I feel like a fool for eating at a restaurant named 'Hot Chocolate' and not ordering one).

On a cliche 'star' rating system, I give this place a 5/5. From the minute we walked in to the second they had to roll us out in a wheelbarrow, Hot Chocolate treated us well. Great food, atmosphere, and service!


Website : www.hotchocolatechicago.com
If Saul is serving, you won't be disappointed by his graciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment